Monday, December 2, 2019

Book Trailer

Doe Readers,

I was tasked with creating a book trailer for a book of my choosing. I combed through the NSTA's outstanding trade books lists from the past decade and looked for a book that combined engineering and wonder. I took the list to my local library and found nothing I was able to use. 
That weekend, I happened to be babysitting my cousin's children and her oldest begged me to read her favorite book, Rosie Revere Engineer. 

This book is about a girl who want to build and solve problems but fear of failure gets in her way. It is told in a rhyming verse that is easy to follow and engaging. The illustrations are beautiful and quirky. The target audience for this book is kids between kindergarten and around fourth grade, according to the author's website. I instantly fell in love with this book, as a former little girl. I found myself wishing I could be in my cousin's shoes, knowing Rosie's story from 5 years old. 

I did some research on this book as author before I made this my selection. I found out that this author, Andrea Beaty (rhymes with "lady") has a background in computer science and a love of nature. She has written several other books about kids in STEM including Ada Twist, Scientist and Iggy Peck, Architect.

The book Rosie Revere has won numerous awards for it's content and message. There are many accompanying lesson plans created by the author, common core, and other educators integrating this story into their classroom. I read about a classroom project where the science center includes a Rosie Revere "Tinkering Station" where kids can become engineers in their own right. 


Another awesome fact I found about this book is that it was read on the international space station!

This book has become an influential book that worked it's way into the classroom to inspire a generation of thinkers. Kids can relate to the fear of failure and be inspired by her kooky contraptions. The author herself went out of her way to create a science kit that connects to both NGSS and Common Core for classroom use.

This book connects to the following standards:

2-PS1-1 Matter and Its Interactions Plan and conduct an investigation to describe and classify different kinds of materials by their observable properties. 
2-PS1-2 Matter and Its Interactions Analyze data obtained from testing different materials to determine which materials have the properties that are best suited for an intended purpose
K-2-ETS1-1 Engineering Design Ask questions, make observations, and gather information about a situation people want to change to define a simple problem that can be solved through the development of a new or improved object or tool
4-PS3-4 Energy Apply scientific ideas to design, test, and refine a device that converts energy from one form to another.
3-5-ETS1-3 Engineering Design Plan and carry out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.

Here is my book trailer:




1 comment:

  1. This is, by far, my favorite book for children. It has such a good mood to it and conveys many different feelings. It ties in literature and engineering while also motivating children to keep on trying. You did a great job with your book trailer, the rhyming flows so smoothly. I would have used this as my book if you didn't already choose it. You can fit this book into so many lessons and you can see that by all the standards you linked. Good job on the trailer, it makes me want to read it again.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Readers read Doe reads

Dear Readers, Our semester has come to a close. It is time to reflect and be thankful. The leaves have fallen, the snow is here. Although ...